Thursday, July 16, 2015

The Genius 4 Episode 3 Review

Standard

I guess he played too hard too fast.

Hi fellow The Genius Fans!!! :) 

Episode 3 was very interesting in terms of how the dynamics can shake up and is certainly a turning point for the show. 
Before I go on and talk about this episode, I would like to address the question asked previously: Have all the episodes been filmed already? 
Now, I am pretty certain the answer is Nope. Most Korean shows are known to be pretty flexible with their schedules and are often not filmed way beforehand. Also, Sang Min was not at all awkward during the press conference. I mean he had no reason to be but I do think that if he had been eliminated then, he would have been a lot more quiet. As for Yo Hwan, he wasn't there, which kind of made sense, and Jung Hyun practically didn't get any screen time in the BTS video. They are probably about 3 episodes ahead of when they air. I might be totally wrong, so if anyone knows please share! :)

Alright, back to this pretty shocking episode. Last week's prophecy of Sang Min vs Kyung Hoon in the Death Match came true this week. O.O The Dog bit the owner numerous times, and this time round... The owner wasn't able to survive. ):
It's sad for Sangmin to go out like this but I am kind of glad that the relationship between them is over (in the game). I do think that ultimately, his elimination was mostly his own fault... Sangmin should have done his research on Kyunghoon, see how much of a troll he is and probably shouldn't have trusted KH so much. Also, his lack of time control in the first round of Today's Menu placed him on the outs. While many players tried to help him, it was in vain.
His alliance with Dongmin was an interesting one. While it seemed like it was a good deal for both, it didn't work out. In an environment like The Genius, all players are constantly having different aims and Dongmin can't ensure that there are no hiccups. Only unexpected moves are rewarded in The Genius, at least in the short term, and that's why it is really hard to make everything work in whosoever's favour.
And now, S2's top 3 players are eliminated; all 3 eliminated thus far are from S2. O.o

Moving on to Kyung Hoon, he is really a troublemaker and screws up the game for everyone he works with. His game is like a reflection of Yohwan's S2 game. It's a risky strategy and he will be easy to bring to the DM.
However, it seems to be paying off? He was so impressive in the Deathmatch. He had so many calculated moves, especially the fake outburst, wow. I'm pretty sure Kyunghoon did his research after playing it last season. (He was eliminated playing this Deathmatch) I'm also guessing he works well with conflicts and blames his innocence so that he can play more ruthlessly? I don't think that he really wants to clean up his image too haha. Though, i don't get why would KH confess that he acted out his "mistake". Players will watch and find out that he did so, also they are already catching on to how good he is. Or is it because everyone's so good, it isn't really a concern to explain what he was doing? I wonder if they will stay clear of him from now on? :/
I have to say Kyunghoon is definitely playing rather recklessly.

Next episode looks amazing! It's the same freaking game that Kyunghoon played and betrayed Ah Young in S3's first episode (Fruitstand). Now that his owner is gone, I think KH feels like he is the boss. Haha, players seem annoyed by KH in the preview. LOL.

Alright, so I have my winner picks again. Yoohyun & Junseok.
I really like all the players but only 1 can win right. So yep, I'm narrowing it down.

  • Kim Yoo Hyun He hasn't exactly demonstrated much but I believe in his potential. However, I do think that for now he has been making good alliances, which will be helpful in the long run. Fighting! 
  • Lee Jun Seok He is very quick and has a really good poker face. While he doesn't feel like a conventional winner, he is able to change up the situation of the game quickly. I think that he is rather anti-group, and if he thinks of something better, he is bold and will change things up. However, for now he won't be blamed as much with Kyunghoon taking the heat. 
I'm really looking forward to seeing many players step up their games and get goosebumps again from watching them perform. 

Cheers to another great episode, please do tweet me @raycherr or comment below. I love having a convo with The Genius fans. <3 

9 comments:

  1. Hi i’m korean!!
    also korea hate Kyunghoon. :D
    he screw up the mainmatch.
    Korean named him 극혐.(this mean very very hate him.)

    episode3,when sangmin under the desk,that’s a amazing act
    in both aspect of entertaiment and strategic planning.
    i’m so sad we can’t see more.

    Maby we guess and wish sangmin comback when episode 7~9.
    you know that failure people comback and help mainmatch.
    like season2 episode 11.

    AND at korea,spoiled who up the top 5 rumor.
    if you want i can tell you but this is only rumor

    just i guess
    And at preview , when disappoint player after jandonmin shouting the winner of the game.
    episode1 preview,jangdongmin:what? who start crazy thing? than sangmin:so crazy. win sangmin
    episode2 preview,jangdongmin:crewd up than sangmin:what find hong? win sangmin
    episode3 preview, jangdongmin:what?? than hyunmin:really crazy. win hyunmin
    episode4 preview,jangdongmin:can’t go with kyunghoon.jinho:oh really;; who is you.
    maby win hong? hahaha :D just guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I can't believe you found my reviews!

      Waaa are there a lot of bad press about Kyunghoon?
      Yes! That was a first to hide in such restricted space to spy on the players! Sangmin was often full of ideas too, so yep hopefully he can comeback again to play later on this season! :)

      Ahhh it's okay no need to tell me now, maybe you can let me know at the end whether the top 5 rumors are true? :)

      Oooo interesting!! Hahahaha you are good, looks like hong might win then... wow.
      By the way, do you know if there are any confirmation that this is the last season? Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Maby this season is the last season for jungjonyeon who produced genius season 1~4.
      He said that this will last season for me.
      But it is possible that another producer succeed.

      Delete
    3. Ahhh really? That's sad ); I don't mind if they take a few years hiatus and comeback one day but to hear that the producer is not going to continue haha sigh maybe it's better that way.

      Delete
  2. Hello! First time commenting here ��
    So I have never actually liked Sangmin but it's kind of sad seeing him go in the end.
    Kyunghoon screwed things up by telling other people again. I just hope he could take this seriously.
    Dongmin never fails to amaze me and with this episode, it shows his leadership skills and how everyone naturally follows his lead. I want him to win this thing again! ��
    I couldn't agree more with Yoohyun as a winning candidate because he's now on everyone's side. Supporting him more and more! ��
    I couldn't wait for the upcoming episodes and love your reviews, Rachel! ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! :D Yeah thanks for commenting!

      Yes indeed, after all Sangmin was the king of main matches...
      I think it is in his nature to create conflicts or that he is really innocent like Yoohyun said. I also hope that he would play will more "loyalty" but I doubt that it will happen in the near future.
      Ooo really? I really like Dongmin too, so I probably wouldn't mind if he won this season though, it would be nice if someone else did.
      Yeahhh Yoohyun fighting! :)
      Awwww your comment is filling me with enthusiasm to keep writing the reviews! :) Thanks so much for reading too!

      Delete
  3. Hello! I'm back haha.

    Sangmin totally burnt out in this episode. I do wonder how the episode would have been like if he didn't lose track of time, because it seems like the three winners (plus Hyunmin?) could have dominated the game.

    I'm surprised and rather impressed with Kyunghoon in the death match! It's like Yohwan in Season 2. Who knows, maybe he has been acting in the main matches all this while and is slowly pulling people to their deaths.

    I think Junseok is really smart, in the sense he does follow the crowd most of the time but he knows what he needs to do and he does so with such strong self-conviction.

    Okay ciao! I really like your review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Welcome back!

      Yea Sangmin did! ): That's so true too if he didn't screw up his timings, things would have gone totally differently.
      Ooo yea indeed there's such a parallel between Kyunghoon and Yohwan's season 2's game. Haha that would be crazy if he was really putting on an act all these while O.O
      Yes! He is able to come up with his own opinions and make quick moves, though I fear that Junseok would become the next target when Kyunghoon is gone.

      Awww thanks so much! :)

      Delete