Tuesday, July 21, 2015

The Genius 4 Episode 4 Review

Standard

Omg shocker. 

Woah, this has got to be the most shocking reveal on the show yet. O.O The edit was really on point, I was so sad that Jinho was most likely going to be the elimination candidate. Also, Hyunmin looked like he was going to do super well and then WOW. WTH happened!!!??? Hyunmin became the elimination candidate??!! 

Insane episode. The Genius just keeps coming with crazy punches and I am seriously hooked. 

I am writing this right after I finished watching the episode so my adrenaline rush is still ongoing, pardon me if I sound like a crazy fangirl omg. 

The main match has got to be one of my fave games earlier on in a season. Similar to Fruit stand, but definitely different at its core. First, you get to pick which seafood you could sell and not be bounded to luck. And this episode, its all about betrayal. Haha. I mean we all expected that right? An interesting contrast from Kyungran's pitch for everyone to do well together... Of course we kinda of expected Kyunghoon and Junseok to ruin things and have Hyunmin/Dongmin come out with a cool strategy. Little did we realise that they all had a similar freaking strategy to dominate all the rounds. So, initially I thought that Junseok only had an individual motive to get himself through the game with at least a safe amount of $6000. I thought it was pretty smart too, because once someone betrays, someone else was bound to get burnt with a lesser amount. Thus, it was a foolproof method for an individually driven player. However, Yeonseung teaming up with Junseok was amazing in terms of execution, and like what the narrator said: A perfect game play. 
All 3 betrayal teams were pretty smart, since they knew that someone was going to screw things up, so why not take matters into their own hands. 
It does once again make players who were more into getting a good score together look like fools... They were playing on different levels already. I guess it's officially the start of a different kind of strategic game play now? I'm excited.

About the 3 duos:
Youhyun x Kyunghoon I must say I am surprised they worked together, but they did play well together! Never did Kyunghoon give away Youhyun's name or expressed his strategy to anyone. He almost did with some players, but he didn't give away much. Maybe he learnt his lesson to not screw things up for your closer ally because they will bring him to the DM haha? Too bad too many groups came out with the same strategy because, once again Youhyun fell behind the spotlight, but I guess it would work well for him in the long term. I hope to see them work together again!
Junseok x Yeonseung I am even more surprised they worked together!!! Yeonseung really knows which players will work the most to his advantage, from Dongmin for tactical yutnori to Junseok for this main match. This was a great win for them, plus they both got to be safe from elimination. :)
Hyunmin x Dongmin Ah... my fave min-min duo. I loved that they worked together again but like what Dongmin said, because they were too greedy, the plan fell flat on their face and they paid the price. They are no longer the best team to be in action now and the competition is way harder now.

So... Hyunmin picked Yoonsun as DM opponent, and he explained he didn't want to lose two games that day... I guess he felt confident about his chances with Yoonsun. She is so underestimated though... I must say Yoonsun put up such a good match. How she got the first point was already evidence that she could do well too, but it was ultimately such a pity that she didn't manage to surpass Hyunmin, made a mistake ): and was eliminated. Now, that's the 4th person from Season 2 that is gone, like what??? Will Jinho be next? o.O ...
Also, is betrayal the only way forward now? Do notice that so many of them chose the option to forgo the chance to get garnets for a win right then. The Genius is indeed starting to feel like the Liar Game, where every player have more individual motives than a group one to get more garnets. So ruthless now haha.

And next week's episode looks like it is betrayal driven. So cruel! The crew is so pitting them against each other this time round haha I am curious to see who would play a clean game and not lie at all. :/ For me, Jinho and Kyungran are players that tend to want to play a nicer game, so it would be interesting to see how they continue to interact with others next week onward.

To read my other posts of The Genius, you can click here.
Find me on twitter @raycherr or comment about this episode below!!! :D I would love to hear your thoughts.
ahhhh this was such a good episode...

Edit: I would like to give more credit to Kyunghoon haha, afterall he came out with the strategy, decided that Youhyun was a good player to work with, and got 2nd place! I guess he really knows how to sell... haha.

7 comments:

  1. Hi I'm back! Just a little post before posting another one hehe.

    Oh gosh another victim from Season 2 D: My Jinho ah~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!
      Yes, some say Season 2 is cursed o.o If Jinho is out from yesterday's episode... omg I hope not.

      Delete
  2. I think because it's the all-stars and all of the contestant had watched how people from season 2 betrayed to win, they all begin to betray each other because they know they will get betrayed later. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too, many players understood the game as having to betray to be able to win that game haha.

      Delete
  3. Hello! Second time commenting here now hahaha I'm gonna go by K anon ^~^
    Yeonseung is such a good actor I don't even know he's actually winning. Such a plot twist when the so-thought "loser" becomes the winner!
    I'm not fond of Junseok from day one and with this episode I just dislike him even more. Maybe because of his stubbornness?
    Hyunmin definitely is at the top in terms of brain but with this episode it just shows how some of them can think of the same thing too. Totally comes off as a warning for him. His watery-eyes killed me!
    The next preview seems really fun and just hoping Dongmin or Yoohyun wouldn't be out! ><

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi hi K anon, thanks so much for commenting :)
      yes omg no one expected it because Yeonseung was such a "nice and loyal" guy last season.
      I was so stunned when the results appeared too! Ahhh really? But technically Junseok didn't betray anyone this episode haha
      Everyone is really so strong!
      Ohman yr comment about the 2 players scare me, like it sounds like one of them will be out. ><
      Btw, do u watch the show only after English subs come out? ^^

      Delete
    2. Yep! I'm jealous you can understand without having to wait for the sub '3' hahaha now I'm scared that one of them could potentially be eliminated from the game lol

      Delete